Try for free: signup has never been easier!
About the author
No big release this time but it's the little things that count, right? We just launched our improved our sign up process to help you choose between our different services.
Until now our sign up process was a large single form. Customers had to provide both credentials and their (optional) product choice. At first glance, changing to a multi-step process might seem more complex, both on the backend and frontend. After refactoring, however, it turned out to be exactly the opposite.
Our sign up is now composed of multiple smaller, more understandble steps. Our design goals were simple:
- Recoverable: the backend logic is no longer a large cascading waterfall. Should any smaller step fail, recovery is much easier. In addition, if any of the fields have invalid data all fields are pre-filled.
- Reduced choice: Only bother the subscriber with what they are interested in. Multiple steps reduce choices, decisions should be kept at a minumum. Also make sure sign up works if they don't choose at all.
- Quick steps: overall each step is faster, they take less time to complete. As for processing: even though we might be hitting slow 3rd party API's more often now, the experienced wait time per step is reduced.
Note: we have no data to back these propositions and we might be biased as designers. Still, we hope it can provide valuable insight for other developers.
It used to look like this, a lot of choices to be made by the subscriber, horrible right?
As mentioned above the new sign up is now composed of multiple optional steps.
- Register for a free sandbox account
- Add the product of your choice (optional)
- Provide additional details (if required, optional)
- Get started
Try for free
We extend our open source philosophy to our products! You're free to test our platform for two months. How? Simple, complete step 1 of the sign up process and your good to go!